The NWC Code of Conduct is a policy that guides our daily interactions and advocacy as Council members.
I will respect and uphold the values of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria:
- Equity –equitable ruling to gender, ethnicity, and religion. We will make judgement with equity and solidarity.
- Inclusiveness -we recognise that diversity is strength and will seek to involve all people, as active participants in their locality.
- Quality _we will strive for excellence in the delivery of our services and activities
- Forward looking -we will recognise the need for futuristic anticipation with continual review & improvement.
- Impact focused – we will prioritise the outcomes and seek to deliver results that benefit both individuals and the global community.
- Passion -we shall have passion for the purpose and objectives of the forum.
- Discipline -we shall remain disciplined, and not act with sentiments but with dedication to the cause of youth development, civic engagement & their social inclusion.
- I will act within the governing document of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria and the law, and abide by the policies and procedures of the forum. This includes having a knowledge of the contents of the Memorandum & Articles of Association and relevant policies and procedures.
- I will support the objects and mission of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria, championing it, using any skills or knowledge I have to further that mission and seeking expert advice where appropriate.
- I will be an active Executive member, making my skills, experience and knowledge available to UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria and seeking to do what additional work I can outside the National Working Council meetings, including sitting on sub-committees.
- I will respect organisational/forum, Council and individual confidentiality, while never using confidentiality as an excuse not to disclose matters that should be transparent and accountable.
- I will develop and maintain a sound and up-to-date knowledge of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria and its environment. This will include an understanding of how UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria operates, the social, diplomatic, democratic and economic environment in which it operates and the nature and extent of its work.
- I will use UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria’s resources responsibly, and when claiming expenses will do so in line with UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria procedures.
- I will seek to be accountable for my actions as an Executive member of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria, and will submit myself to whatever scrutiny is appropriate.
- I accept my responsibility to ensure that UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria is well run and will raise issues and questions in an appropriate and sensitive way to ensure that this is the case.
- I will not gain materially or financially from my involvement with UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria unless specifically authorised to do so.
- I will act in the best interests of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria as a whole, and not as a representative of any group – considering what is best for UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria and its present and future beneficiaries and avoid bringing UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria into disrepute.
- Unless authorised, I will not put myself in a position where my personal interests conflict with my duty to act in the interests of the forum. Where there is a conflict of interest I will ensure that this is managed effectively in line with UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria policy.
- I understand that a failure to declare a conflict of interest may be considered to be a breach of this code.
- I will give top priority to the UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria in accordance with my responsibilities in the Forum.
- I will attend all appropriate meetings and other appointments at UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria or give apologies. If I cannot regularly attend meetings I will consider whether there are other ways I can engage with UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria.
- I will prepare fully for all meetings and work for the forum. This will include reading papers, querying anything I do not understand, thinking through issues before meetings and completing any task assigned to me in the agreed time.
- I will actively engage in discussion, debate and voting in meetings; contributing in a considered and constructive way, listening carefully, challenging sensitively and avoiding conflict.
- I will participate in collective decision making, accept a majority decision of the Council and will not act individually unless specifically authorised to do so.
- I will actively contribute towards improving the governance of the Forum participating in induction and training and sharing ideas for improvement with relevant Councils.
- I will help to identify good candidates for positions at UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS
- I will endeavour to work considerately and respectfully with all those I come into contact with at UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria. I will respect diversity, gender, different roles and boundaries, and avoid giving offence.
- I recognise that the roles of Executive members, Advisors, volunteers and staff of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria are different, and I will seek to understand and respect the difference between these roles.
- Where I also volunteer with the forum I will maintain the separation of my role as an Executive member and as a Volunteer.
- I will seek to support and encourage all those I come in contact with at UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria. In particular I recognise my responsibility to support the chairperson and the senior staff members.
- I will not make public comments about the forum unless authorised to do so. Any public comments I make about UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria will be considered and in line with forum policy, whether I make them as an individual or as an Advisor.
LEAVING THE COUNCIL
- I understand that substantial breach of any part of this code may result in procedures being put in motion that may result in my being asked to resign from the National Working Council.
- Should this happen I will be given the opportunity to be heard. In the event that I am asked to resign from the Council by the National Working Council or Chairperson, I will accept the majority decision of the National Working Council in this matter and resign at the earliest opportunity.
- If I wish to cease being an Executive member of UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria at any time, I will inform the chairperson in advance (giving as much notice as possible) in writing, stating my reasons for leaving.