UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria is a specialised youth-led administration housed in the Nigerian National Commission to UNESCO. The Forum is made up of highly trained youths with the technical, diplomatic, and social capacity to engage and advocate for the mission and aims of the United Nations Educational, Scientific & cultural Organisation (UNESCO) as Global Changemakers.
In the Forum, youths are mentored and trained into National Youth Delegates and several other capacities for civic engagements, social inclusion, and active/global citizenship.
The Forum engages in high-level consultations and policy formulations across Nigeria and the globe, serving as a sustainable specialised youths’ platform, harnessing the knowledge, skills, experience, and collaborative engagement of youths in solving the current and future challenges at local and global levels.
The leadership of the forum is comprised of youth volunteers with outstanding performance in youth delegations, civic engagement, the United Nations, African Union, other specialised agencies, and International Development Partners where their capacities have been rigorously developed to serve as peer motivators.
The forum is committed to capacity building, civic engagement, social inclusion of youth in governance, and sustainable development.
Our strategy for youth development is as follows:
- AWARENESS -Raising youths’ awareness of peace, global citizenship, and social responsibilities.
- UNDERSTANDING -Sensitizing them to understand the benefits of youth engagement and relevant issues such as SDGs.
- ENGAGEMENT -Engaging them to build their capacity and motivate peers through self-involvement and practice.
- INTEGRATION -youth are integrated into social settings to contribute to development through active engagement.
The UNESCO Youth Forum Nigeria would carry out activities in line with the UNESCO Calendar and:
- Participate and engage youth in UNESCO & NATCOM-UNESCO activities
- Partner with Nigeria government to harness the skills and resources of youth towards national development.
- Organise programs to harness the power of youth through their knowledge and ideas
- Provide youth volunteers for UNESCO Projects
- Carry-out sensitization programs for youth and advocate for progressive policies
- Hold meetings with youth to recognise and understand youths’ views
- Engage in high-level consultations and policy formulations across Nigeria and the globe
- Conduct Research and Social Analysis
- Engage at grassroots level to seek solutions to challenges
The forums’ leadership develops programs, strategies, and projects at national and international levels to meet content specific needs.
- Realisation of UNESCO objectives and targets
- Contributing to the realisation of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Youth Capacity Development for Global Citizenship
- Active/Civic Engagement of the youth
- SDG 4 Monitoring & Evaluation in Nigeria
The forum welcomes collaboration and partnership with relevant Ministries, Departments, Agencies of the Federal Government, and International Development Partners and related organisations to accomplish the UNESCO Operational Strategy for youth.
Such requests should be channelled to the National Chairperson or the Nigerian National Commission for UNESCO.